Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about dishwashing liquid, dishwasher detergent and Palmolive® products.
Palmolive® Dishwashing Liquid
- What is a hand dishwashing liquid?
- Hand dishwashing liquids are formulated to facilitate the removal of greasy baked-on food from dishes (glasses, plates, utensils, pots, etc.). They also suspend (emulsify) the grease in the wash water to facilitate rinsing.
- How do dishwashing liquids differ from other cleaning products? Why should I use a dish liquid specifically on my dishes?
- There are a wide choice of products formulated to clean effectively. In theory, any detergent or soap can be used for hand dishwashing, except an automatic dishwasher detergent. However, soap has become almost extinct as a dishwashing product and many all-purpose cleaners or laundry detergents do not produce optimum results. These may leave spots and streaks, may not completely dissolve, or may discolor certain metals with soaking. A well-formulated, all-purpose detergent may be used for dishes in some economy-minded homes, but a light duty liquid hand dishwashing liquid like Palmolive® is an optimal choice.
- Can Palmolive® dishwashing liquids be used for things other than dishes?
Palmolive® dishwashing liquids are very versatile. Along with dishes, they can also be used to clean:
- Cookware, pots and pans, utensils
- Dirty hands
- Delicate washable clothing by hand
- Countertops/kitchen appliances
- Painted surfaces
- Metal and rubber surfaces
- Dishwashing liquids are not recommended for some uses.
- Carpet and rug stains
- Bathing or shampooing
- Cleaning glass or windows
Remember — never use your dish liquid in an automatic dishwasher, and never mix your dish liquid with bleach or ammonia.
Palmolive® Dishwashing Detergent
- Why did Palmolive® introduce Eco+® Gel Dishwasher Detergent?
- Palmolive® eco+® is phosphate-free, so it provides one small, ecologically friendly step consumers can take as part of their weekly dishwashing routine.
- How many varieties of Palmolive® eco+® gel dishwasher detergent are available?
- Palmolive® eco+® is available in 3 naturally-inspired fragrances: Lemon Splash®, Citrus Apple Splash, and Lavender Splash®.
- What temperature should the water in my dishwasher be?
- Water temperature is the single most important factor in good cleaning. The ideal temperature should be between 120-130 degrees. You may need to adjust your hot water heater.
- Where can I buy Palmolive® eco+® gel dishwasher detergent?
- Palmolive® eco+® dishwasher detergent is available in the household products aisle in stores where dishwashing detergents are sold.
- How can I tell if I have hard water?
- Water hardness is determined by calcium and magnesium salts in the water. The higher the level of these salts, the "harder" the water is. Hard water can also cause spotting or filming on your dishes. Since water hardness varies from town to town, the easiest way to determine if you have hard water is to call your local water company or public utility service department.
- Is there a correct way to load the dishwasher?
Every dishwasher is designed differently, so the best approach is to check the manual that came with your machine. You should use the following general guidelines:
- Place the dirtiest side of the item facing the source of the water spray.
- Don't let large items cover small items, like cups or upside-down flatware.
- Avoid stacking items together — if they are too tight, water can't get to them.
- Place sharp items with points down (safety first).
- Make sure delicate items are firmly secured on the top rack.
- Are there items I should not place in my dishwasher?
The forceful action, hot water and detergent in a dishwasher can be harmful to some items. Some items you should wash with caution are:
- Hand painted or antique china
- Some plastics
- Decorated glass or delicate crystal
- Wooden items
- Cast iron
- Can I use Palmolive® eco+® gel dishwasher detergent to wash other things — like sinks, windows, floors or clothing?
- No. While some household cleaning products are multi-purpose, Palmolive® eco+® gel dishwasher detergent is formulated specifically for use in a dishwasher.
- Is pre-rinsing my dishes necessary if I'm putting them in the dishwasher?
- Pre-rinsing your dishes is unnecessary. Palmolive® eco+® leaves your dishes sparkling clean as long as large pieces of food are scraped off of plates before they are loaded.
- What's the best way to store my Palmolive® eco+® gel dishwasher detergent?
- It should be kept in a cool dry place to prevent the detergent from picking up moisture. Be sure to close the package tightly after use and store out of the reach of small children and pets.